Summer 2023 application now open!
In the Cornell in Washington (CIW) Summer Term, you’ll work full-time at an internship in D.C., take a Cornell course for credit, and have signature D.C. experiences.
D.C. is arguably the best place in the world to have a summer internship; there are abundant opportunities for any interest. Following are examples of where CIW students with specific interests had their internships:
- Government: Executive Branch, Congress, and a wide range of government agencies.
- Law: Supreme Court, the Department of Justice, D.C. Public Defender’s Office
- Economics: President’s Council of Economic Advisors, the Congressional Budget Office, Treasury Department, World Bank
- Social justice: ACLU, Amnesty International, Department of Justice’s Civil Rights Division
- Health/medicine: American Public Health Association, Centers for Disease Control, National Institutes of Health, Red Cross
- Environment: Environmental Protection Agency, Audubon Society, National Wildlife Federation, National Park Service
- International Affairs: State Department, Peace Corps, Council on Foreign Relations
- Media/communications: CNN, C-SPAN, NBC, Fox News, NPR, Voice of America, New York Times, Washington Post
- Arts: National Endowment for the Arts, National Portrait Gallery, Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, Phillips Collection, Corcoran Gallery
In addition to your internship, you’ll take a Cornell course for credit at night. Course offerings vary year-to-year.
On the weekends, CIW offers signature DC experiences, such as visiting Smithsonian museums, catching a Nationals baseball game, and attending a performance at the Kennedy Center.
Students live in comfortable apartments (each with its own full kitchen and private bathroom), and take their class, in the Cornell owned-and-operated Wolpe Center, in the lovely and centrally-located neighborhood of Dupont Circle.
Make the most of your summer by spending it with Cornell in Washington!