In this intensive six-week program you will immerse yourself in Spanish culture, significantly improve your language skills, and earn up to eight credits.
You'll use Spanish in and outside of the classroom, get to know and interact with native speakers, participate in site visits to museums and venues of historical importance, attend concerts and theater productions, and experience life in a European nation.
In addition, this program will prepare you for early entry into a minor or major in Spanish.
- Take one or two courses taught by Cornell faculty
- Earn up to eight credits
- Experience six weeks in a Spanish-speaking country
- Enjoy weekly field trips to cultural, historic, or architecturally significant sites
- Satisfy the language requirements for the College of Arts and Sciences
- Advance your language skills and cover some of the requirements for a minor or a major in Spanish
This program is designed for students who are interested in learning the language in context, are curious about discovering a different culture, wish to take advantage of their linguistic background and increase their language proficiency, want to fulfill their language requirement, and are ready for a fun yet academically challenging summer.
Cecelia Lawless, program director and senior lecturer in the Department of Romance Studies
“The real objective of the program is not the learning of the verb form or the learning of the Arabic influences, it’s about the confidence. After six weeks here, the students realize, ‘Wow, I can do this. I can speak Spanish.’ They are finding out who they are and gaining confidence that they can do the things they want to do. That’s fantastic for me to watch.” – Program director, Cecelia Lawless