The New York City Public Service Corps (NYCPSC) is a placement agency in Manhattan that helps Cornell Federal Work-Study (FWS) eligible students find employment with certain non-profits and city agencies/departments in the five boroughs of New York. The application allows you to specify several career-related work areas of interest and rank your preferred work locations.
As an NYCPSC intern, you will be paid a flat hourly rate based on your class year. Pay rates are determined by NYC payroll policy and, therefore, are not negotiable. You will be paid by the NYCPSC, not by the agency or department with which you are placed.
For a current Freshman, through completion of sophomore year, the rate is $13.50/hour. For a rising Junior (summer after Sophomore year prior to Junior year start) through completion of Senior year, the rate is $14.45/hour. Hours of work, days of work, and length of the internship, will be determined during the interview process with the NYCPSC. See the FWS Study Application on the Office of Financial Aid and Student Employment site for more information about summer FWS funding.
- Attend our annual NYCPSC Information Session; view Event Calendar for more information.
- Review the PSC Information and Forms section of the NYC Public Service Corps website. This web page will lead you to more detailed program information on internship placement options, program expectations, the interview process, and salary and taxes.
- Use the Online Application to access application materials and required forms. The deadlines for applications are rolling through mid-May. Final deadline is June 16. Approvals are made on a rolling basis beginning in March, until the funding is exhausted, typically mid-June.
- You are not applying to an individual position or job when you complete the NYCPSC application. You will learn where you are placed to work when you meet with an NYCPSC Placement Counselor and discuss your interests and skills.
- The Cornell Career Services Office will check on your FWS status with Financial Aid and if confirmed, will forward your application to the NYCPSC for next steps in the hiring process. You will be notified by email from our office when this happens.
- A NYCPSC Placement Counselor will then contact you to set a date and time for your onsite placement interview when you arrive in NYC for the summer.
- All questions about your application and interview scheduling status should be directed to the NYCPSC office at this point. You can email them through a form on their website.
- Cornell Career Services does not track the process of your interview status once your FWS has been confirmed for the program.
Winter internships may be available for students who have at least $1,000 of Federal Work-Study eligibility remaining—generally those students who did not work on campus during the fall semester. First check with the Office of Financial Aid and Student Employment (firstname.lastname@example.org) for confirmation of your Federal Work Study eligibility and application submission information. If eligible, contact your previous agency to ask whether they would have winter work available. Then, contact your NYCPSC placement counselor for application instructions.
Questions? Email NYCPSC_Summer_Program@cornell.edu