Your academic experience abroad is going to be very different from home. Working under the policies and processes of the local institution, you may find a lot less structure, or a lot more.

Courses and Credit Approval

  • To find information on specific courses, go to KCL's Study Abroad Module Catalog for all available subjects except Biosciences.  For course options in Biosciences you must visit the School of Biosciences course webpage.  
    • Please be sure to read to Module Eligibility information thoroughly before selecting your modules. 
  • For assistance in selecting courses, see your faculty or college advisor. (Note: You may earn elective, distributional, minor or major credit depending on your major and college.)
  • To discuss program fit, such as program type, expectations, level of structure/independence, or to compare options, get advice from Global Learning advisors and returned students.
  • Complete the Study Abroad Participation & Course Approval form that is part of the Global Learning application for a record of how your courses will count for credit at Cornell.

On KCL's Module Options webpage, there is an Eligibility tab that breaks down the general eligibility criteria to enroll in a level 4, 5, or 6 course.  Undergraduate degrees in England are three years, and coursework advances more aggressively each year compared to in the U.S. To request and be approved for a level 6 course, you would need to be majoring in that specific subject area and have completed at least 6-7 courses in that subject area.  To request and be approved for a level 5 course, you would need to have completed at least 3-4 courses in that subject area.  Level 4 courses have no minimum of courses required to take them.

Academic Policies

  • Take the equivalent of 15 Cornell credits (= 60 UK credits at KCL) for a full semester, even if it is possible to take fewer and still graduate on time
  • Complete all the academic work and stay until the end of the program, defined as the last officially-sanctioned exam for any course you take abroad

Registration and Grades

  • You will be registered at Cornell and will earn credit for approved coursework for your semester/year study abroad
  • Decisions on the final allocation of credit are made upon successful completion of the course (must earn grade equivalent of a “C” or higher—all courses must be taken for a letter grade)
  • Grades will appear on the Cornell transcript in the same format as they are recorded on the original transcript generated by the study abroad program or university. Grades are not factored into the Cornell GPA