Hands-on, field-based learning directly from the people involved in creating a more sustainable world, designed in collaboration with local communities.
What is Unique about this Program?
- Cornell students have had excellent experiences on this program.
- Unique Expedition Field Courses take you from remote hill tribe villages in the North to the islands in the South. Backpack, sea kayak and travel through the landscapes you are studying.
- Focus on sustainable food systems, political ecology of forests, and coastal environments of the south
- Assignments include everything from a coral reef survey to ethnographic research.
- Live with local families in urban Chiang Mai and in rural villages throughout Thailand.
- Study Thai language and culture intensively, both inside the classroom and out.
Thailand is a beautiful country full of contrasts. Experience and study different ecosystems. Be challenged intellectually and physically. Collect and examine data through multiple methods. Learn from leaders in organic farming, conservation, elephant care, and more.
How do I choose among programs?
- See the Office of Global Learning’s “Selecting a Program” page for information on program types and considerations
- Use the search features on the Experience Cornell Opportunities page to filter for programs approved by your college, and by particular subject areas
- Go to the “Get Advice” page for information on drop-in advising hours, scheduling an advising appointment, returned student contacts, and college advisors for study abroad
- Find out about upcoming events, check out FAQs, and read stories from returned study abroad students
How do I apply?
Applying to study abroad is a two-step process. You may complete both steps simultaneously, but the Cornell approval process must be complete before your program advisor in the Office of Global Learning can submit any approval or nomination to the program.
- For Cornell Approval, click on the "Apply" button on this webpage. Applications are approved by the Office of Global Learning on a rolling basis until the application deadline listed on this page.
- For Program Admission, complete an external application directly on the program’s webpage, using the link in the “Snapshot” section. (Note: This deadline may be in advance of the general Cornell deadline for approval. Many programs fill by rolling admission.)