Pandemic Message

COVID-19 Update: For updates on the current status of each opportunity, please contact the Advisor listed, or for courses, check the linked Class Roster page.


Minimum GPA: 3.00

Terms and Dates:

  • Spring 2023
    February 3, 2023 to May 29, 2023
  • Fall 2023
    September 1, 2023 to December 19, 2023
  • Academic Year 2023-24
    September 1, 2023 to May 29, 2024
  • Spring 2024
    January 31, 2024 to May 29, 2024


Kristen Grace

Cornell Affiliations:

Global Learning


Note: CALS Students apply via CALS Exchange

Opportunity Description

HKUST is a Cornell Global Hub partner university. Global Hubs are Cornell's collaborative centers of engagement around the world. Hubs will give students exciting opportunities for semester-long and short-term study abroad, field experience, participation in faculty-led research, curricular pathways through majors, internships, and more.

What is unique about this program?

  • Study in a dynamic research university with an international reputation for excellence
  • Consistently ranked at the top for Business and Engineering
  • Courses are taught in English
  • Enjoy student life at a campus-based university, with residence halls, clubs, and activities

Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST)

HKUST is a publicly funded university that opened in 1991. It is a leading international research university dedicated to the pursuit of knowledge in science, engineering, business, humanities and social science.

The university comprises five Schools: Science, Engineering, Business and Management, Humanities and Social Science, and the Fok Ying Tung Graduate School. The undergraduate student body comprises 83% domestic students and the remaining 17% equally split between students from Mainland China and other countries. In addition, with approximately 400 exchange students passing through HKUST every term, you really can make friends with people from around the world.

What is unique about Hong Kong?

People do not normally associate Hong Kong with nature. But the truth is that only around 25% of Hong Kong is the dense urban space that is so well known to the world. The other 75% is undeveloped, and comprises country parks and nature reserves. HKUST occupies a stunning 150-acre site overlooking the pristine Clearwater Bay, located on the Sai Kung Peninsula. The area is often considered as one of Hong Kong’s havens for outdoor lovers. Of course, with the efficient public transport system, you are never far from urban areas. A 15-minute bus ride will take you from HKUST to the nearest subway station.

Things to consider before applying

  • Review the information on the Education Abroad Office’s Get Started page for important considerations on academics and finances, and a guide to next steps
  • Find answers on the Education Abroad FAQ and resource pages for Cornell study abroad policy, health, and safety updates
  • Still have questions?  Visit the Get Advice page and learn how to connect with an Education Abroad Advisors
  • Want to keep up to date with Cornellians Abroad? Follow Education Abroad on social media, @cornelliansabroad@CornellEducationAbroad

How do I apply?

Applying to study on an exchange program is a two-step process. The Cornell approval process must be complete before your program advisor in the Office of Global Learning can submit your nomination to the exchange partner.  Exchanges may have limited spaces, so early applications are encouraged.

  1. For Cornell approval and nomination, click on the "Apply" button on this webpage. Applications are approved by your college and the Office of Global Learning on a rolling basis until the application deadline listed on this page, or earlier, if filled.
  2. Once nominated by Cornell, complete an external application specifically for exchange students Schools typically admit the students nominated by exchange partners, but you must complete this process for them to review your application and offer you a place.