Due to the unpredictability around maritime travel, there may be changes to SEA Semester programs throughout the application period. Connect with the program advisor or SEA Semester directly for updates on program status.
Reciprocal interactions with diverse communities in ports of call and a real-world view of ocean issues from the deck of a sailing research vessel will offer a unique perspective on one of the most pressing environmental issues of the twenty-first century: the human impact on the environment.
What is unique about this program?
In this semester at sea program, students will explore the unique environmental and complex cultural influences that have shaped these islands. They will also visit marine and coastal protected areas and various ports of call to examine the relationship between different cultural groups and the ocean environment that surrounds them.
Cruise Track: Auckland, New Zealand » Christchurch, New Zealand
Destinations: Auckland › Russell › Wellington › Dunedin › Christchurch
*Port stops subject to change.
- Visit UNESCO World Heritage Sites
- Explore relationships between people and their ocean/coastal environment
- Choose electives to tailor coursework
- Engage in a place-based curriculum
Things to Consider Before Applying
- Review the information on the Education Abroad Office’s Get Started page for important considerations on academics and finances, and a guide to next steps.
- Find answers on the Education Abroad FAQ and resource pages for Cornell study abroad policy, health, and safety updates.
- Still have questions? Visit the Get Advice page and learn how to connect with an Education Abroad Advisors.
- Want to keep up to date with Cornellians Abroad? Follow Education Abroad on social media, @cornelliansabroad, @CornellEducationAbroad
How do I apply?
Applying to study abroad is a two-step process. You may complete both steps simultaneously, but the Cornell approval process must be complete before your program advisor in the Office of Global Learning can submit any approval or nomination to the program.
- For Cornell Approval, click on the "Apply" button on this webpage. Applications are approved by the Office of Global Learning on a rolling basis until the application deadline listed on this page.
- For Program Admission, complete an external application directly on the program’s webpage, using the link in the “Snapshot” section. (Note: This deadline may be in advance of the general Cornell deadline for approval. Many programs fill by rolling admission.)