With this cosmopolitan city as your classroom, you can explore issues of sustainable urbanization, economic reforms, or Chinese politics and foreign policy.
What is unique about this program?
- Impress future employers with your ability to communicate with one of the most important economies in the world
- Find your home in a vibrant, student-friendly neighborhood, where our program center sits just around the corner from the Shanghai University of Finance and Economics (SUFE)
- Explore cosmopolitan Shanghai with easy access to nearby shops, restaurants, entertainment and transportation throughout the city
- Share an apartment with local Chinese roommates who serve as excellent resources to make deeper connections within the local community
- Engage with diverse social, economic and geographic realities that exist within China through a one-week field study trip to destinations in southern and western provinces
What is unique about Shanghai?
Shanghai has grown exponentially in the last hundred years—from a colonial trading port to a massive international metropolis with a population of 24 million. Known for its fast-paced industry and cosmopolitan vibe, the city is intricately connected with the global flows of commodities and people. It also represents the enormous environmental, economic, and social challenges that are mirrored across China and around the world. Want to study international trade or sustainable urbanization? Shanghai is your city.
How do I choose among programs?
- See the Office of Global Learning’s “Selecting a Program” page for information on program types and considerations
- Use the search features on the Experience Cornell Opportunities page to filter for programs approved by your college, and by particular subject areas
- Go to the “Get Advice” page for information on drop-in advising hours, scheduling an advising appointment, returned student contacts, and college advisors for study abroad
- Find out about upcoming events, check out FAQs, and read stories from returned study abroad students
How do I apply?
Applying to study abroad is a two-step process. You may complete both steps simultaneously, but the Cornell approval process must be complete before your program advisor in the Office of Global Learning can submit any approval or nomination to the program.
- For Cornell Approval, click on the "Apply" button on this webpage. Applications are approved by the Office of Global Learning on a rolling basis until the application deadline listed on this page.
- For Program Admission, complete an external application directly on the program’s webpage, using the link in the “Snapshot” section. (Note: This deadline may be in advance of the general Cornell deadline for approval. Many programs fill by rolling admission.)