Spring 2023 Application Now Open!
About Cornell in Washington:
In Cornell in Washington (CIW), you’ll work part-time at an internship in D.C., take a full load of Cornell courses, and have signature D.C. experiences.
D.C. is arguably the best place in the world to have an internship; there are abundant opportunities for any interest. Following are examples of where CIW students with specific interests had their internships:
- Government: Executive Branch, Congress, and a wide range of government agencies.
- Law: Supreme Court, the Department of Justice, D.C. Public Defender’s Office
- Economics: President’s Council of Economic Advisors, the Congressional Budget Office, Treasury Department, World Bank
- Social justice: ACLU, Amnesty International, Department of Justice’s Civil Rights Division
- Health/medicine: American Public Health Association, Centers for Disease Control, National Institutes of Health, Red Cross
- Environment: Environmental Protection Agency, Audubon Society, National Wildlife Federation, National Park Service
- International Affairs: State Department, Peace Corps, Council on Foreign Relations
- Media/communications: CNN, C-SPAN, NBC, Fox News, NPR, Voice of America, New York Times, Washington Post
- Arts: National Endowment for the Arts, National Portrait Gallery, Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, Phillips Collection, Corcoran Gallery
In addition to your internship, you’ll take a full load of Cornell courses. All students take a required course, which involves an independent research project and helps build a cohort experience. Elective course offerings vary semester-to-semester, but all take advantage of our location by being taught by DC experts, including guest lectures by policymakers, and/or visiting relevant DC locations.
On the weekends, CIW offers signature DC experiences, such as visiting Smithsonian museums, attending a game of one of the local professional sports teams, and attending a performance at the Kennedy Center.
Students live in comfortable apartments (each with its own full kitchen and private bathroom), and take their classes, in the Cornell owned-and-operated Wolpe Center, in the lovely and centrally-located neighborhood of Dupont Circle.
Many alumni have said that their semester in CIW was the most transformational, the most influential for their career, and/or their favorite at Cornell. Come join us and simultaneously jump-start your career and experience the best that D.C. has to offer!