College/School Eligibility:

  • Agriculture and Life Sciences
  • Brooks School of Public Policy
  • Architecture, Art and Planning
  • Arts and Sciences
  • Engineering
  • Human Ecology
  • Industrial and Labor Relations
  • SC Johnson Business - Dyson
  • SC Johnson Business - Hotel

Class Year Eligibility:

  • Second Year (undergrad)
  • Third Year (undergrad)
  • Fourth Year + (undergrad)

Open to:

  • Cornell Undergraduate Students

GPA Requirements:

Minimum GPA: 3.00

Program-specific Requirements

Applicants are required to meet both Cornell's requirements (below) and the program's requirements to be admitted.

  • 3.0 GPA cumulative
  • 3.0 (preferably 3.3 or higher) GPA in Spanish
  • Equivalent of 6 semesters (one course beyond SPAN 2095) Spanish, typically a course in literature, history, culture, or advanced grammar/writing, (see below for information on language placement test, if needed)
  • Strongly preferred: a course in Spanish the semester prior to studying in Spain

General Requirements

  • be in good academic standing
  • be in good disciplinary standing
  • be able to study abroad and graduate on time
  • meet the requirements of the program for admission
  • meet college requirements for approval

College-specific Requirements

Colleges may have specific requirements for study abroad such as GPA, prior study at Cornell, ability to study abroad in your final semester, etc. Learn about your college's policies.

For example, your college may have a higher GPA requirement for approval than what is required by the program itself. Most notably, students in Arts & Sciences must fulfill language and area study requirements prior to studying abroad for a semester.

*Language Placement Test information

If you have not taken Spanish at Cornell, you will need to take the CASE exam which is an advanced language placement test in Spanish, offered at the beginning of the Fall and Spring semesters. You will need to register for the CASE via Cornell's On-Line Language Test (COLLT).  The CASE is not an online test, but you must register for the CASE via the COLLT system and may be required to take the COLLT first. Students who receive a Q++ are eligible to participate on the program. We still recommend taking a course in Spanish prior to the semester abroad.

Language Recommendation

All students must have a language recommendation from someone who has recently taught or assessed their Spanish (university-based recommenders only).  If you are unable to obtain one from a Cornell faculty member who has taught or is teaching you, you may ask the Director of Undergraduate Studies in Romance Studies to assist you in finding a faculty member who can evaluate your skills in reading, writing, listening, speaking, and grammar. It is preferable if you have the results of the CASE exam for them to review.

If your most recent college course in Spanish or your Cornell Spanish teacher is no longer in Ithaca, you may invite them to provide a recommendation for you if they are available and willing to do so.  If not, please contact the Director of Undergraduate Studies in Romance Studies for assistance in finding a current Cornell language faculty member who can assess your language and provide a recommendation.