The Cornell University Campus Sustainability Office is seeking a Web Content Writing Intern who wants to gain real world experience creating writing and web narratives that support science writing, sustainability and non-profit messaging, digital communications, and related research.
This position is open to graduate or highly qualified undergraduate Cornell students for 20hrs/week during Summer 2018, with the possibility to extend work 10hrs/week through the 2018-2019 academic year.
Sustainable Campus, Cornell’s main website for sustainability campus, climate action, and living laboratory projects, is undergoing a major update over the summer. This position will work with a dynamic team supporting communication projects to transition and update web content related to campus sustainability progress, opportunities, and highlights in food, water, waste, transportation, and more.
To apply: Send a resume, cover letter, and at least 2 writing samples (links to online writing OK) to firstname.lastname@example.org. See requirements link here for more information. Applications due Sunday April 15th 2018.
- Support content development and engagement materials for the Sustainable Campus website
- Written work will be promoted to hundreds of thousands of regular readers
- Work with committed, talented team members
- Receive regular personalized feedback on improving your writing’s depth, readability, and marketability
- Create analytics insights for Sustainable Campus website
- Craft science-based writing and mission-driven writing to appeal to a large audience
- Your written content will attract new readers to broaden our online reach
- You will have the opportunity to work on layout and web design, if interested
Additionally, you will:
- Provide creative design support to staff and interns in the Campus Sustainability Office
- Assist in creative storytelling opportunities to share sustainability leadership and innovation stories from across campus
- Research cutting edge communication solutions, outreach and impact strategies, and new technology to enhance sustainability engagement, learning, and culture at Cornell University
- Support Campus Sustainability Office staff with various communication, media, analytics, tracking, content development, and other projects as needed
- Strong writing skills
- Demonstrating 1-2 years content writing experience
- Ability to translate and combine complicated information into digestible narratives
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with short deadlines
- Self-directed learner and worker
- Ability to translate complicated scientific, planning, and community led efforts to a large readership
- Ability to use a web content management system, basic HTML proficiency a plus
Pay: $11/hour @ 20 hours/week plus paid time for professional development and team building.
Location: Position is located in the Campus Sustainability Office. Work hours will be scheduled M-F, 9-5pm. Some remote work may be possible.
About the Campus Sustainability Office & Sustainable Campus
The Campus Sustainability Office works with all 30,000 Cornell students, faculty and staff to empower, equip, and engage the campus community in creating the solutions necessary for a healthy sustainable campus, community, and world.
Our team is collaborative and inspired – we believe in supporting whole person leadership, including work-life balance, professional development, and a collaborative approach for collective success. More information on how we are creating one of the leading sustainable campuses and other initiatives visit sustainablecampus.cornell.edu.