Advance investment solutions to fishery sustainability challenges in Latin America and the Asia-Pacific regions as an Atkinson Center-Environmental Defense Fund intern.
EDF’s Oceans Program works to find constructive solutions to the most critical problems threatening the world's marine environments. At the national, regional, and international levels, our team of scientists, attorneys and economists are working with fishermen to establish fair and sensible limits on their catch that will allow fisheries to recover.
The Fishery Solutions Center (FSC) is internationally recognized for our expertise in the science, policy and economics of fisheries and in the design of sustainable solutions. Our team helps EDF’s partners and field staff around the world assess the challenges facing their fisheries and develop solutions.
The Center is the world’s most comprehensive hub for tools, training and information on sustainable fishing and our experts are dedicated to advancing the cutting-edge of sustainable fisheries management, including providing mentoring and training to practitioners on the ground.
The intern will play a key role on the FSC’s Impact team, helping to advance novel investment solutions to fishery sustainability challenges in Latin America and the Asia-Pacific regions. The intern will be at the nexus of fisheries projects executed by EDF’s regional teams, and will work directly with a variety of NGO, industry, and other institutional stakeholders.
Tasks will include but are not limited to:
- Continue previous research conducted by EDF and the Atkinson Center to advance the role of fisheries project developers in growing a robust sustainable fisheries investment ecosystem.
- Identify opportunities to develop blended capital investments that support EDF sustainable fisheries projects in Latin America.
- Promote EDF’s fisheries finance tools with NGO partners, industry, investors and governments.
- Support our work on fisheries risk assessment and mitigation, and disseminating unified fisheries investment principles.
- Provide general fisheries finance support to EDF field teams in Latin America and Asia-Pacific.
Washington, DC (but flexible)
10 weeks over the summer
Full-time (35 hrs/wk)
$5,000 for the summer
Tim Fitzgerald, Director of Impact, Fishery Solutions Center
Please make certain to review the Requirements page prior to applying.