Examine independence movements in Spain and Scotland and explore the future of the nation state and regional autonomy in Europe and beyond.
What is Unique about this Program?
- Live in Bilbao, one of the most beautiful cities in Spain, with unique culture, architecture, arts, and cuisine.
- Travel to Barcelona and Girona, the French Basque Region, and Scotland on excursions.
- Meet with politicians, policy makers, and activists to get an inside perspective on issues related to independence movements.
- Study Spanish at the University of Deusto’s International Spanish Center.
- Understand the historical roots of ethnic and national conflict in Spain and other European nations.
- Examine current human rights issues in Spain and Europe.
- Assess the future of regional autonomies in Europe.
How do I apply?
Applying to study abroad is a 2-Step process. You may complete both steps simultaneously, but Cornell Approval must be obtained before your program advisor in Global Learning can complete any approval or nomination forms for the program itself.
For Cornell Approval, click on the "Apply" button on this webpage. Applications are approved by the Office of Global Learning on a rolling basis until the application deadline listed on this webpage.
For Program Admission, complete an external application directly on the program’s webpage, using the link in the “Snapshot” section. Note that this deadline may be in advance of the general Cornell deadline for approval. Many programs fill by rolling admission.