Examine Mongolia's search for balance between environmental conservation and natural resource development.
What is unique about this program?
- Live in a ger with a nomadic herding family on the steppes of Mongolia
Experience some of the most pristine natural environments in the world
Learn to ride a horse and use horses for transportation
Visit sacred sites in Kharkhorin, the ancient Mongolian capital, and East Gobi
Conduct independent research or complete an internship
Discuss current issues with members of Mongolia’s Parliament
What is unique about Mongolia?
You’ll experience the traditions and livelihood of Mongolia’s nomadic communities and the current challenges for this population. You’ll see up close the international roots of Mongolian culture and examine similarities and differences between contemporary Russian, Chinese, and Central Asian cultures. You will live with host families in urban and rural areas to experience the diversity of contemporary Mongolia. You’ll discover the cosmopolitan nature of Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia’s capital and largest city, and experience the open expanses of the steppe or high mountains and rolling hills through a homestay with nomadic communities.
How do I choose among programs?
- See the Office of Global Learning’s “Selecting a Program” page for information on program types and considerations
- Use the search features on the Experience Cornell Opportunities page to filter for programs approved by your college, and by particular subject areas
- Go to the “Get Advice” page for information on drop-in advising hours, scheduling an advising appointment, returned student contacts, and college advisors for study abroad
- Find out about upcoming events, check out FAQs, and read stories from returned study abroad students
How do I apply?
Applying to study abroad is a two-step process. You may complete both steps simultaneously, but the Cornell approval process must be complete before your program advisor in the Office of Global Learning can submit any approval or nomination to the program.
- For Cornell Approval, click on the "Apply" button on this webpage. Applications are approved by the Office of Global Learning on a rolling basis until the application deadline listed on this page.
- For Program Admission, complete an external application directly on the program’s webpage, using the link in the “Snapshot” section. (Note: This deadline may be in advance of the general Cornell deadline for approval. Many programs fill by rolling admission.)