Discover China’s rich multicultural history and pressing health and environmental issues in Yunnan Province and Beijing.
What is unique about this program?
- Learn, observe, and practice Traditional Chinese Medicine philosophies and treatment methods
- Experience China’s ancient capital, Beijing, and areas in Yunnan Province rich in natural beauty and home to Bai, Yi, Naxi, and Tibetan ethnic cultures
- Be immersed in Chinese culture
- Receive small-group instruction in Chinese language from ACTFL-certified instructors
- Study the role of indigenous knowledge in health preservation, environmental protection, and sustainable development in China
What is unique about Kunming?
Kunming is Yunnan Province’s largest city and political, economic, and cultural center. It is called “the City of Eternal Spring” and is famous in China for its nice climate, green environment, and good air quality. You will spend three weeks with a family in urban Kunming. Through this experience, you will likely gain a deeper understanding of China’s increasingly complex and economically stratified society. When possible, you will be placed with a family that shares professions or interests related to your Independent Study Project (ISP) topic. In many cases, the homestay family becomes an important contact for your ISP.
How do I apply?
Applying to study abroad is a 2-Step process. You may complete both steps simultaneously, but Cornell Approval must be obtained before your program advisor in Global Learning can complete any approval or nomination forms for the program itself.
- For Cornell Approval, click on the "Apply" button on this webpage. Applications are approved by the Office of Global Learning on a rolling basis until the application deadline listed on this webpage.
- For Program Admission, complete an external application directly on the program’s webpage, using the link in the “Snapshot” section. Note that this deadline may be in advance of the general Cornell deadline for approval. Many programs fill by rolling admission.
On the Global Learning website you will find a list of current returned students who have agreed to share contact information, stories from students in their own words, and selections of recommended programs in these categories: Cornell Global Programs, College Administered, Global Issues, STEM-focused, and Beyond Europe.