Unique opportunity to study engineering at the University of Michigan and Jiao Tong University Joint Institute
Open to Cornell undergrad, grad and professional students
Citizens and permanent residents of China; residents of Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan
Join the international community at the award-winning UM-SJTU Joint Institute, an innovative educational and research institute founded by Shanghai Jiao Tong University and the University of Michigan. Select courses from Joint Institute majors in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical and Computer Engineering, or Materials Science.
- Keep on track at Cornell with 12-15 credits online, offered asynchronously
- Take 2 courses with local students at the Joint Institute
- Live in a student residence hall
- Enjoy access to SJTU student facilities, libraries, and activities
- Check out the UM-SJTU Joint Institute by the numbers to learn more!
Housing and Meals
Being part of a living and learning environment is a core, and therefore required, aspect of all study away options.
Study Away students will apply for housing in the student residence hall where you will have options of living in a single, double or triple dorm room. Some rooms for students requiring special accommodations may be available.
Meals are not included, but are available in cafeterias on campus.
Health and Safety
Shanghai Jiao Tong University follows the government coronavirus regulations required by the local and national government
- Use the "Apply" button below to complete Cornell application by July 10, 11:59pm, EDT - late submissions cannot be considered
- Once selected,*
- commit to the study away program by communicated deadline - students who fail to commit by the deadline will have their applications withdrawn
- Register with Study Away partner**
*Education Abroad advisors will select applications based on eligibility and availability and will inform students that they are selected July 13-17.
**The link to the partner application will be given to students upon acceptance by Cornell. Students must follow the study away program's process and timeline to apply for housing and course registration.
- Cornell advisor for study away application process: Each "Study Away" opportunity has a dedicated advisor in the Education Abroad team of the Office of Global Learning. The advisor for this program is listed in the side panel.
- Cornell school/college contacts: Each school and college at Cornell supports international students participating in the Fall "Cornell Study Away" option, and you will have online access to all student services as a registered Cornell student.
While we cannot bring "The Hill" to you, you can share your Cornell spirit with peers as you live and study together.