Assist research and analysis of energy policy initiatives and developments to enhance microgrid advocacy work in Puerto Rico as an Atkinson Center-Environmental Defense Fund Grid Modernization and Microgrid intern in New York, NY.
The U.S. is on the verge of a revolution in the way we make, move, and use energy. Stronger clean air standards, abundant shale gas, an aging power structure—and the falling cost of solar and wind—are creating an opportunity, in an era of powerful new information and communication technologies, to transition to a cleaner, more efficient energy system. EDF is helping transform the U.S. electricity system in order to slash harmful pollution, grow our economy, and give families control over their energy use and costs. Our clean energy experts are working with regulators, policymakers, clean tech entrepreneurs and other stakeholders in key places to hasten the clean energy economy by:
- Modernizing utility business models
- Making the grid more resilient and less wasteful
- Leveling the playing field for clean energy
- Unleashing the power of private capital
Tasks will include but are not limited to:
- Monitor and analyze emerging energy policy initiatives including grassroots efforts in Puerto Rico
- Conduct research and outreach to help develop robust selection criteria for potential microgrid sites in Puerto Rico
- Conduct research of best practices for grid modernization and generate analytics in support of our grid modernization advocacy in Puerto Rico
- Partnering with EDF staff, participate and contribute to conversations with key stakeholders and partners about grid modernization policies
- Review and synthesize lessons learned from current rural microgrid deployments on the island including outreach to stakeholders including microgrid developers and rural communities
- Investigate sustainable models for financing the deployment of low-carbon microgrid in rural communities in Puerto Rico
- Coordinate with EDF’s communications team to develop work-products including blogs, fact- sheets, and other communications materials
10 weeks during the summer
Full-time (35 hours/week)
Compensation is $5,000 for the summer term.
Ronny Sandoval, Senior Director; Mina Berkow, Policy Manager
This is one of ten (10) Atkinson Center-Environmental Defense Fund summer internships available. You must submit a separate application for each internship, if applying for more than one.
Please make certain to review the Requirements page prior to applying.