- Practical experience with the following standard and cutting-edge diagnostic methodologies: ELISA, Western Blot, PCR, RT-PCR, qPCR, RCA, LAMP, RPA, Arrays, NGS, and newly developed methods.
- Discussions on relevant published diagnostic cases impacting plant, animal and human health.
- Visits to and from: The Animal Health Diagnostic Center at Cornell, Genomics Facility at Cornell Institute of Biotechnology, The New York State Agricultural Experiment Station in Geneva and Agave BioSystems.
- Tours to - Concha y Toro vineyards and experimental station and Universidad de Talca in the Chilean Valle Central, vineyards and nurseries in the central Chile, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile in Santiago, the cities of Valparaiso and Viña del Mar.
- One week project to collect and test collected vine material using diagnostic methods in a modern field laboratory in the valley of Curacaví.
- Analyze data critically and assess strengths and weaknesses of diagnostic methodologies.
- Evaluate the changing priorities of regional/global disease challenges.
- Speculate on new diagnostic applications and innovations.
- Communicate in Spanish with confidence.
- Get a sense of the world from a Chilean perspective.