Study environmental sustainability in the city known for its environmental commitments and innovation.
What is unique about this program?
The environmental movement took root in Freiburg long ago–and now it's a way of life. Known for taking the lead in the development of eco-friendly technologies and architecture, Freiburg also attracts researchers and environmental organizations from around the world. Come study Freiburg's many unique contributions to this important movement, while simultaneously benefiting from the city's location near the beautiful Black Forest and Rhine River Valley.
This English-taught program allows you to explore topics in Environmental Studies, Forest Ecology, and Sustainability while living in Freiburg, a well-known center for environmental innovation. Freiburg and the surrounding regions will be your classroom. Travel to the Rhine River Valley to take samples and observe local ecology; or go to the forests of the Swiss Alps to further your discussions on forest management and tourism. Wherever possible, your courses take you outside the classroom to give you hands-on experience and to take advantage of all that your study abroad location has to offer.
In addition to Environmental Studies topics, you have the opportunity to study German language at the beginning, intermediate, or advanced level at the Sprachlehrinstitut (SLI) of the Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg.
It is impossible not to fall in love with Freiburg. Maybe it's the curving cobblestone streets, medieval architecture, and beautiful cathedral. Or maybe it's the city's progressive mindset--Freiburg shows a remarkable commitment to the environment and the development of sustainable technologies. Either way, you'll find a semester is a short time to discover all there is to love about this enchanting university town.
How do I choose among programs?
- See the Office of Global Learning’s “Selecting a Program” page for information on program types and considerations
- Use the search features on the Experience Cornell Opportunities page to filter for programs approved by your college, and by particular subject areas
- Go to the “Get Advice” page for information on drop-in advising hours, scheduling an advising appointment, returned student contacts, and college advisors for study abroad
- Find out about upcoming events, check out FAQs, and read stories from returned study abroad students
How do I apply?
Applying to study abroad is a two-step process. You may complete both steps simultaneously, but the Cornell approval process must be complete before your program advisor in the Office of Global Learning can submit any approval or nomination to the program.
- For Cornell Approval, click on the "Apply" button on this webpage. Applications are approved by the Office of Global Learning on a rolling basis until the application deadline listed on this page.
- For Program Admission, complete an external application directly on the program’s webpage, using the link in the “Snapshot” section. (Note: This deadline may be in advance of the general Cornell deadline for approval. Many programs fill by rolling admission.)