Pandemic Message

COVID-19 Update: For updates on the current status of each opportunity, please contact the Advisor listed, or for courses, check the linked Class Roster page.


Students pay regular Cornell tuition. You are also responsible for all travel and living costs, both prior to departure (airfare, housing deposit, visas) and while on-site (housing, meals, in-country travel, etc.).

For general information on costs and financial aid, visit our Financial Information page and Going Abroad: Finances FAQs.

For detailed information on additional costs, review your program’s website for incoming exchange students. Go to the right-hand bar of the Overview page for a link to the program website.

Estimated Budget

Budget Coming Soon

The Office of Global Learning prepares an individual estimated budget at the end of the semester prior to studying abroad. Your estimated budget includes:

  • Charges that will appear on your bursar bill (your regular Cornell tuition)
  • Estimated additional costs (e.g: your round-trip airfare, housing, food, visa, books, and other personal expenses)

The Office of Global Learning will send the estimated budget to you, the Financial Aid Office (if relevant), and your parent or guardian if you have opted to share their email as part of the application.

Financial Aid

If you are eligible for financial aid when you are on campus, you will maintain your aid eligibility when you study abroad for a semester or year. Your Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) will remain the same for the academic year.

Aid awards are re-packaged to accommodate the total expected cost of your semester/year abroad, using the estimated budget prepared by Global Learning. If your budgeted costs are more than the cost of a semester/year at Cornell, your aid package will likely be increased. Likewise, if your budgeted costs are less than a semester/year at Cornell, aid will be appropriately reduced to reflect your decreased need.

The work-study allocation for a semester/year abroad is converted to a loan.

If you require assistance to pay for airfare or housing deposits prior to the release of your aid award, you should contact the Financial Aid Office.