Your academic experience abroad is going to be very different from home. Working under the policies and processes of the local institution, you may find a lot less structure, or a lot more.
Courses and Credit Approval
- Course information for undergraduate exchange students
- Note All undergraduate students need to apply at the Faculty of Industrial Design Engineering in Studielink as Master student and then choose Exchange Integrated Product Design. Focus on the spring semester (fall semester dates are not compatible).
- Exchange students at the Faculty of Industrial Design Engineering have to choose fixed course packages when they apply. You can select your first, second and third choice. During the admission process the package will be confirmed. After that no changes can be made.
In exceptional cases, courses (not more than 30%) can be taken at other faculties (except at the Architecture Faculty); no guarantees can be given before arrival whether this is possible (depends on availability and time schedules).
Master courses are open to Bachelor students who have finished nearly 3 years of study at the time of application and will have senior status will abroad.
For assistance in selecting courses, see your faculty or college advisor. (Note: You may earn elective, distributional, minor or major credit depending on your major and college.)
- Complete the Proposed Course of Study form that is part of the Global Learning application for a record of how your courses will count for credit at Cornell.
- Study the language of the host country (or take a course in that language) when studying in a non-English speaking country for a semester or year
- Take the equivalent of 15 Cornell credits for a full semester, even if it is possible to take fewer and still graduate on time
- Complete all the academic work and stay until the end of the program, defined as the last officially-sanctioned exam for any course you take abroad
Registration and Grades
- You will be registered at Cornell and will earn credit for approved coursework for your semester/year study abroad
- Decisions on the final allocation of credit are made upon successful completion of the course (equivalent of a “C” or higher—all courses for a letter grade)
- Grades will appear on the Cornell transcript in the same format as they are recorded on the original transcript generated by the study abroad program or university. Grades are not factored into the Cornell GPA
Taught in English
The Faculty of Industrial Design Engineering (IDE) offers an extensive range of courses in English. For an example:
Design Drawing for Erasmus and Adaptation
Design and Experience
Research and design
PO3, Fuzzy front end
Strategic Product Innovation
Cross Media Interaction Design
Design and Cultural Impact
Video for Designers
Creating in Project Teams