Renmin University of China (RUC) is the first comprehensive research university established by the People’s Republic of China. RUC initially began as Shanbei Public School in 1937 and gradually evolved into one of the most prestigious research universities in China in 1950. Today RUC specializes in the study of the humanities and the social sciences.
The ILR-RUC summer exchange is with the School of Labor & Human Resources. The School of Labor & Human Resources (SLHR), founded in October 1983, is China's top institution for educating students in labor, social security, and human resource management. The School offers undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Labor Economics, Social Security, Human Resource Management, and Labor Relations.
What is unique about this program?
- Open to all ILR undergraduate students and MILR students.
- No prior knowledge of Mandarin is required.
- Earn up to 4 ILR elective credits.
- Take courses in English in RUC's International Summer School alongside Chinese students and students from around the world.
- Select from a wide variety of interesting China-focused courses.
- Participate in custom seminars and field excursions developed especially for labor students and their interests.
- Practice Mandarin and learn about the local culture with your SLHR buddy.
- Take part in arranged visits to local points of interest.
What is unique about Beijing?
Beijing, the capital of China, is one of the largest cities in the world. Visitors to Beijing are able to enjoy many great and historic attractions such as the Great Wall, the Forbidden City, Tiananmen Square, and the Summer Palace, to name a few.
RUC itself is located in the Haidian District of Beijing, which is the hub of university education and major software companies. Important universities in the area include Peking University, Tsinghua University, Beijing Institute of Technology, and Beijing Foreign Studies University. Major software companies in the area include Microsoft, NEC, and Siemens, among others. RUC is in close proximity to historic areas such as the Old Summer Palace, the Summer Palace, and the high speed rail.
How do I apply?
1. Meet with the program advisor in ILR (Tamara Ingram, email@example.com) to discuss your plans and eligibility.
2. Complete the online application by clicking on the "Apply" button on this web page. You must log in with your NetID and password to access the application.
3. If accepted and nominated to study at RUC, complete RUC's application. Application instructions will be sent to nominated students.