EARLY DEADLINE for Spring applications - Now Closed for Sp 22
Limited spots for CHE students only, fills by rolling admission,
The National University of Singapore (NUS) is considered one of the top ten universities in the Asia Pacific region—reflecting its position as Singapore's premier university. NUS offers a global approach to education and research with a focus on Asian perspectives and expertise. NUS has three Research Centres of Excellence (RCE) and 23 university-level research institutes and centres. It is also a partner for Singapore's 5th RCE. The University shares a close affiliation with 16 national-level research institutes and centres. Research activities are strategic and robust, and NUS is well-known for its research strengths in engineering, life sciences and biomedicine, social sciences and natural sciences. Major research thrusts have been made recently in several fields such as quantum technology; cancer and translational medicine; interactive and digital media; and the environment and water. The University also strives to create a supportive and innovative environment to promote creative enterprise within its community. The student body consists of 37,452 students, 27,391 undergraduate and 10,061 graduate students, and 2,314 faculty members.
About the Exchange Program
Undergraduate students from Human Ecology may spend one semester, and in some cases up to a year, studying at the National University of Singapore. NUS' transformative education includes programs such as student exchanges, entrepreneurial internships at NUS and double degree and joint degree programs with some of the world's top universities. Over 37,000 students from 100 countries further enrich the community with their diverse social and cultural perspectives. NUS's exchange partners include top universities from over 40 countries around the world. Singapore, is a city state and a gateway to SE Asia, with Indonesia to its East and Malaysia directly south. Its 85 miles north of the equator. As of 2012, the population of Singapore was 5.3 million people. Singapore has four official languages: English, Malay, Mandarin, and Tamil. English is the common language of the nation and is the language of business, and education. Singapore is the world's fourth-leading financial centre, and its port is one of the five busiest in the world. While it is one of the smallest countries in in Southeast Asia it is also one of the most prosperous.
Note: Students cannot take business classes at NUS.
NUS offers a variety of on campus housing options. Undergraduate students may apply for a place in one of the six Halls of Residences or more apartment style sudent residences such as Prince George's Park Residence. Residential Halls have single or double rooms fully furnished with amenities and catered meals. Prince George's park Residence is a self-contained student housing estate with an apartment-style living arrangement. PGPR also houses an auditorium, seminar rooms, a multi-purpose hall, gymnasium, basketball and tennis courts, a jogging track, an exercise station, mini-supermarket, four food outlets and other service outlets. Non-NUS accommodation (off campus)
Things to consider before applying
- Review the information on the Education Abroad Office’s Get Started page for important considerations on academics and finances, and a guide to next steps
- Find answers on the Education Abroad FAQ and resource pages for Cornell study abroad policy, health, and safety updates
- Still have questions? Visit the Get Advice page and learn how to connect with an Education Abroad Advisors
- Want to keep up to date with Cornellians Abroad? Follow Education Abroad on social media, @cornelliansabroad, @CornellEducationAbroad
How do I apply?
Applying to study on an exchange program is a two-step process. The Cornell approval process must be complete before your program advisor in the Office of Global Learning can submit your nomination to the exchange partner. Exchanges may have limited spaces, so early applications are encouraged.
- For Cornell approval and nomination, click on the "Apply" button on this webpage. Applications are approved by your college and the Office of Global Learning on a rolling basis until the application deadline listed on this page, or earlier, if filled.
- Once nominated by Cornell, complete an external application specifically for exchange students. Schools typically admit the students nominated by exchange partners, but you must complete this process for them to review your application and offer you a place.