This program is designed for students in all disciplines with advanced Spanish or Catalan.
The CASA Barcelona program offers a full-immersion learning experience in one of the leading cities of the world. Students are immersed in the local university environment and take most of their courses at one or more of Brown's partner universities: the Universitat de Barcelona (UB), the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB), the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC), and the Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF). Comprehensive student services support the academic and social experience.
What is unique about this program?
The Consortium for Advanced Studies Abroad (CASA) is a collaborative initiative involving several U.S. universities: Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Johns Hopkins, Northwestern, the University of Pennsylvania, and Vanderbilt. Each CASA member institution reserves the right to participate in a given CASA Divisional Program.
Long considered Spain’s most progressive city, Barcelona is proud of its well-established reputation as a center of political, social and cultural activism. This activism is not only apparent in its approach to intellectual life, but also in the visual arts and architecture. Gaudí, Miró and Tàpies are among the many internationally renowned figures who have called this city home. As a crossroads of Roman, Visigoth and Islamic civilizations, Barcelona is justifiably proud of its past. At the same time, its progressive spirit has made it one of the most modern and cosmopolitan cities in the world. Students who wish to learn about the contemporary political, social, cultural, linguistic, and economic challenges facing Spain and Europe will find Barcelona to be an ideal venue for study.
Approximate dates are provided based on past programs; students should expect them to vary by year. Please refer to the program calendar for more specific information about program dates.
Fall: Late August - Late December
Spring: Early January - Late June
Residencia Melon-District Marina has 427 individual rooms that cater to a mixed Spanish and international student population. CASA students have an individual room with a private bath. The single rooms open up to a common living room and kitchens that CASA students share with 8-9 flatmates (Spanish or other international students), creating an apartment like atmosphere. Amenities include internet access, television, closet space, shelf space, a desk, a double bed and bed linens. The facility also provides a swimming pool on the roof terrace and the option of a meal plan at the Melon Café. The residence is beside the "Marina" metro station and the tramway line, 10 minutes from UPF and the city downtown.
Consortium operations in Barcelona are managed by a resident director and two program coordinators, who coordinate orientation, advising, Center classes and housing. A visiting faculty member from the Consortium is in residence at least one semester every year and teaches a course at the Center.
Things to Consider Before Applying
- Review the information on the Education Abroad Office’s Get Started page for important considerations on academics and finances, and a guide to next steps
- Find answers on the Education Abroad FAQ and resource pages for Cornell study abroad policy, health, and safety updates
- Still have questions? Visit the Get Advice page and learn how to connect with an Education Abroad Advisors
- Want to keep up to date with Cornellians Abroad? Follow Education Abroad on social media, @cornelliansabroad, @CornellEducationAbroad
How do I apply?
- Everything you need for Cornell approval and for admission to the program is handled through the Cornell application using the green "Apply" button below
- Completed applications are reviewed early after the relevant transcripts are available* and again at the program application deadline. *Completed applications include the most recent spring transcript for the following spring study abroad and the fall transcript for fall/year abroad
- After admission, students submit application information via the program portal