Whether you’re enchanted by its forests full of orchids, or inspired by its leaders of the global sustainability movement, Monteverde is the community for you. Dig into today’s pressing environmental issues and watch your Spanish skills bloom with daily practice. See what it’s like to live in this warm, peace-loving community in the clouds. Come back ready, refueled, and re-tooled with new skills, knowledge, and energy to make the world a better place.
“Newsweek” declared Monteverde one of the world’s top places to remember before it disappears. Get to know why the city’s beautiful and rare cloud forest habitat is so important to the country and the planet on CIEE’s Sustainability and the Environment program. At our Study Center in the heart of the cloud forest, you’ll dig into wildlife conservation, environmental education, alternative agriculture, ecotourism, reforestation, sustainable building, environmental art, or green energy – and maybe help the world in the process.
Through lectures, internship opportunities, and extensive field work, study abroad in Monteverde offers you a theoretical foundation in conservation and sustainability, and brings those principles to life with intensive hands-on experience. Not only will you examine the complexities affronting global biodiversity, you’ll explore the possible solutions for resolving them. And with highly individualized Spanish classes, homestays, and myriad opportunities to interact and engage with local farmers, residents and business people you’ll enjoy a truly transformative experience in a very challenging but rewarding semester abroad.
Study abroad in Costa Rica and you will:
- Participate in specially designed CIEE courses on sustainability and tropical conservation
- Travel to remote and unique locations in Costa Rica and Nicaragua
- Intern with local organizations, businesses, or farms dedicated to sustainable development
- Live with a Costa Rican family, and be immersed in the culture and language
- Explore the sustainability of alternative energy, food systems, agriculture, nature reserves, and tourism in Costa Rica
- Take excursions to protected areas of endangered biological and cultural diversity to learn about their threats and what can save them
Find out more.
Please check the CIEE website for final program dates, and speak with your CIEE Study Abroad Advisor prior to booking airfare.
How do I apply?
Applying to study abroad is a 2-Step process. You may complete both steps simultaneously, but Cornell Approval must be obtained before your program advisor in Global Learning can complete any approval or nomination forms for the program itself.
- For Cornell Approval, click on the "Apply" button on this webpage. Applications are approved by the Office of Global Learning on a rolling basis until the application deadline listed on this webpage.
- For Program Admission, apply directly on the program website. Most programs have rolling admissions.
On the Global Learning website you will find a list of current returned students who have agreed to share contact information, stories from students in their own words, and selections of recommended programs in these categories: Cornell Global Programs, College Administered, Global Issues, STEM-focused, and Beyond Europe.