As a microcosm of the challenges facing African cities, Cape Town is an ideal place to explore urban systems, community, and sustainability.
What is unique about this program?
- Explore issues of livability and sustainability through coursework and a project.
- Focus on science and engineering or environmental aspects of sustainable design.
- Experience sustainable initiatives like an EcoVillage, the iShack solar energy project in Enkanini, and a biomimetic bioremediation project in urban and ex-urban settings.
- Visit vineyards with unique approaches to environmental sustainability and socially-just practices.
- In courses designed specifically for students on this program, take advantage of open lectures and design-critique sessions conducted by professors, visiting lecturers, and other teaching staff.
Why learn about global sustainability in Cape Town?
Add a stunning natural setting, a complicated social history, and you have a powerful location for learning. Cape Town illuminates the issues of joining the global economy while grappling with vast socioeconomic inequalities born from its colonial and apartheid past. With strong resources in higher education, technology, and community organization, you have the means to explore solutions for the challenges of today and tomorrow.
How do I choose among programs?
- See the Office of Global Learning’s “” page for information on program types and considerations
- Use the search features on the Opportunities page to filter for programs approved by your college, and by particular subject areas
- Go to the “” page for information on drop-in advising hours, scheduling an advising appointment, returned student contacts, and college advisors for study abroad
- Find out about , check out , and read from returned study abroad students
How do I apply?
Applying to study abroad is a two-step process. You may complete both steps simultaneously, but the Cornell approval process must be complete before your program advisor in the Office of Global Learning can submit any approval or nomination to the program.
- For Cornell Approval, click on the "Apply" button on this webpage. Applications are approved by the Office of Global Learning on a rolling basis until the application deadline listed on this page.
- For Program Admission, complete an external application directly on the program’s webpage, using the link in the “Snapshot” section. (Note: This deadline may be in advance of the general Cornell deadline for approval. Many programs fill by rolling admission.