Undergraduate degree programs at Central Saint Martins (CSM) are three years in length, and students focus exclusively on their chosen subject area during those three years.  As a student on the Integrated Study Abroad program at CSM, you will have an opportunity to study alongside degree students in their regular courses and studios.  As part of the admissions process, CSM will assess your experience and academic background in the subject area you choose to enroll in (by portfolio review and/or other materials from your application).  Based on this assessment, CSM will place you in Year 1, Year 2, or Year 3 of the particular academic program you apply to, and you will enroll in the courses offered to students in that Year.  Selecting courses from multiple subject areas is not possible.

Your academic experience abroad is going to be very different from home. Working under the policies and processes of the local institution, you may find a lot less structure, or a lot more.

Courses and Credit Approval

  • To find information on specific courses, you must first choose one of CSM's undergraduate programs that you wish to be your "home" subject area.  More detailed course information can be found on each subject area's webpage.  
  • For assistance in selecting courses, see your faculty or college advisor. (Note: You may earn elective, distributional, minor or major credit depending on your major and college.)
  • To discuss program fit, such as program type, expectations, level of structure/independence, or to compare options, get advice from Global Learning advisors and returned students.
  • Complete the Study Abroad Participation & Course Approval form that is part of the Global Learning application for a record of how your courses will count for credit at Cornell.

Academic Policies

  • Take the equivalent of 15 Cornell credits (=60 UK credits at CSM) for a full semester, even if it is possible to take fewer and still graduate on time
  • Complete all the academic work and stay until the end of the program, defined as the last officially-sanctioned exam for any course you take abroad

Registration and Grades

  • You will be registered at Cornell and will earn credit for approved coursework for your semester/year study abroad
  • Decisions on the final allocation of credit are made upon successful completion of the course (must earn grade equivalent of a “C” or higher—all courses must be taken for a letter grade)
  • Grades will appear on the Cornell transcript in the same format as they are recorded on the original transcript generated by the study abroad program or university. Grades are not factored into the Cornell GPA