Program closed for FAll 2023
Whether you have beginner or advanced Portuguese language skills, you can study in the beautiful city of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
What is unique about this program?
This CASA Brazil program builds upon one of Brown University’s longest running study abroad programs, developed over thirty years ago in close collaboration with Brown’s Department of Portuguese and Brazilian Studies. In its new and expanded iteration, CASA-Brazil harnesses the academic strengths and research ties to Brazil of the full Consortium membership to provide exceptional study abroad experiences to serious students. CASA’s key institutional partner is the Pontifícia Universidade Católica (PUC-Rio), Brazil’s premier private university, consistently ranked among the top universities in the country..
What is unique about Rio de Janeiro?
As the second largest city in Brazil, Rio de Janeiro is Brazil’s emotional and cultural center where, situated between beaches and a jutting mountain range, life is varied, culturally diverse and intense. PUC-Rio is located in Gávea, a charming and safe neighborhood. Several city bus lines pass by the university, and the Botanical Gardens and Leblon beach are within walking distance of the campus. CASA Brazil’s study center, at the Matteo Ricci Research Center, Estrada de Gávea, 50, is a vibrant intellectual space located in close proximity to PUC-Rio.
How do I learn more about CASA Brazil?
- Learn more about CASA Brazil coursework and partner institutions
- Note: CASA Brazil's fall semester runs from mid-July to mid-December and spring is mid-January to early-July
- Explore CASA Brazil's activities page to learn more about overnight trips, cultural excursions and lecture series
- Review CASA Brazil's Health and Safety Page
- Browse other program related resources
Things to Consider Before Applying
- Review the information on the Education Abroad Office’s Get Started page for important considerations on academics and finances, and a guide to the next steps
- Find answers on the Education Abroad FAQ and resource pages for Cornell study abroad policy, health, and safety updates
- Still have questions? Visit the Get Advice page and learn how to connect with an Education Abroad Advisors
- Want to keep up to date with Cornellians Abroad? Follow Education Abroad on social media, @cornelliansabroad, @CornellEducationAbroad
How do I apply?
The Cornell application is the application for both Cornell approval and program admission. Applications are approved by the Office of Global Learning on a rolling basis until the application deadline listed on this webpage.