Since 1954, CALS has offered their students unique opportunities to study abroad via the CALS Exchange program. CALS students are able to internationalize their academic experience by integrating themselves into a partner university abroad, taking classes and living alongside degree-seeking students. The CALS Exchange programs are rooted in, and in many cases designed by, CALS faculty affiliated to an international academic institution or university department that complements your academic program. Students who have previously gone on exchange have found it to be a rewarding experience as it has added an international dimension to their degree, challenged them academically and facilitated the development of new skills, and enhanced their personal growth and self-confidence.
This exchange program is suitable to nearly all CALS majors, especially for undergraduate students majoring in Animal Science, Agricultural Sciences, Environment and Sustainability, Food Science, Landscape Architecture, or Plant Science. Wageningen offers a variety of courses. Students in majors outside of those recommended may also be able to participate, depending on your interests and academic needs.
What is unique about this program?
The distinct mission of Wageningen University & Research is "to explore the potential of nature to improve the quality of life." Both Wageningen University's research and education are highly acclaimed. The prominence and caliber in the field of life science and natural resources is affirmed by their high rankings as an institution. The Times Higher Education World University Rankings, ranked Wageningen University 59th overall in the world. In 2016-17 QS University Rankings, ranked Wageningen #1 in Agriculture and Forestry, and #4 in Environmental Sciences.
Wageningen is the only university in the Netherlands focused on the theme "healthy food and living environment." Its majors align closely to CALS and the university has a longstanding collaborative and research-based partnership.
What is unique about Wageningen?
Wageningen is a historic town in central Netherlands where commuting by bike is the norm. Wageningen is surrounded by farmland, forests, nature reserves and the meadows of the Rhine river. It has a population of approximately 39,000 of which about 12,000 are students from over 100 countries. Wageningen has a thriving cultural and social life. Theaters, cinemas, student clubs, bars, night life and restaurants offer the excitement of the city with the safe environment of a rural village. The many international students, professors and researchers contribute to the diverse atmosphere.
The rest of Europe is on your doorstep. Amsterdam is about an hour away.
Past participants have submitted feedback about their experiences. These surveys are available for your review. You can also view photos. Would you like to ask a past participant questions about their experience? The CALS exchange coordinator is happy to connect you to a Cornell student who has studied at Wageningen. Email email@example.com to request an introduction.
How do I apply?
- Meet with the CALS Exchange Advisor
- The CALS exchange advisor meets personally with every student interested in going on an exchange. It's an opportunity to discuss the program, the application process, the course approval process, etc. Schedule an appointment.
- Click the green apply button (there is an application preview button for those interested in what is on the application-by clicking apply, you will start an application to the program)
- Already met with the CALS Exchange Advisor or is it close to the application deadline and you can't get in to see the advisor? That's okay. Click the green apply button and start the Cornell application process so you don't miss any deadlines.
- Click Submit
- Once you've completed all of the application requirements, click submit. The CALS Exchange Advisor will review your application within a week of your submission. If accepted, you will receive further instructions regarding next steps and the application process to your host university.