Since 1954, CALS has offered their students unique opportunities to study abroad via the CALS Exchange program. CALS students are able to internationalize their academic experience by integrating themselves into a partner university abroad, taking classes and living alongside degree-seeking students. The CALS Exchange programs are rooted in, and in many cases designed by, CALS faculty affiliated to an international academic institution or university department that complements your academic program. Students who have previously gone on exchange have found it to be a rewarding experience as it has added an international dimension to their degree, challenged them academically and facilitated the development of new skills, and enhanced their personal growth and self-confidence.
This exchange program is suitable to nearly all CALS majors, especially for undergraduate students majoring in (info coming soon).
What is unique about this program?
BOKU offers a BSc and MSc "Environmental and Bio Resources Management", and also MSc "Natural Resources Management and Ecological Engineering". 98% of Austria´s waste water is treated in sewage treatment plants. Waste water treatment is an important part of BSc and MSc in "Environmental Engineering."
What is unique about BOKU and Vienna?
There are no nuclear power plants in Austria. Most energy is generated with hydro-electric power plants. Lectures in the field of Water Resource Planning and Water Management are given at the "Institute of Water Management, Hydrology and Hydraulic Engineering". Austria has the highest percentage of organic farmers within the European Union. BOKU offers classes in the MSc "Organic Farming"--Cornell students with the appropriate background are eligible to take them. Austria has an age long tradition of wine production and is an important exporter of wine. BOKU offers a BSc in "Viticulture, Oenology and Wine Marketing."
Austria is one of the countries with the highest percentage of recycling of used materials. Austrian citizens have a high awareness of the limitations of natural resources. BOKU Vienna is taking on the challenge to play a role in securing and consciously using their natural life resources.
Vienna, Austria's capital, has a population of 1.8 million and is the cultural, economic and political center of the country. Known for its high quality of life and music, it is often called "The City of Dreams" as it was the home to famous psycho-analyst Sigmund Freud.
Past participants have submitted feedback about their experiences. These surveys are available for your review. You can also view photos. Would you like to ask a past participant questions about their experience? The CALS exchange coordinator is happy to connect you to a Cornell student who has studied at Wageningen. Email email@example.com to request an introduction.
How do I apply?
- Attend a CALS Exchange and Study Abroad Information Session
- CALS will be holding information sessions for students to answer questions regarding types of programs, the process, financial aid/costs concerns, returning credits, and any additional questions you may have. You can find the schedule and login information here.
- Meet with the CALS Exchange Advisor
- The CALS exchange advisor is happy to meet with each student to go over specific programs, answer individuals academic questions that could not be discussed in an information sessions, assist with program selection based on interest, etc. It's also an opportunity to discus the application process, the course approval process, etc. Schedule an appointment.
- Click the green apply button (there is an application preview button for those interested in what is on the application-by clicking apply, you will start an application to the program)
- Already met with the CALS Exchange Advisor or is it close to the application deadline and you can't get in to see the advisor? That's okay. Click the green apply button and start the Cornell application process so you don't miss any deadlines.
- Click Submit
- Once you've completed all of the application requirements, click submit. The CALS Exchange Advisor will review your application within a week of your submission. If accepted, you will receive further instructions regarding next steps and the application process to your host university.