Since 1954, CALS has offered their students unique opportunities to study abroad via the CALS Exchange program. CALS students are able to internationalize their academic experience by integrating themselves into a partner university abroad, taking classes and living alongside degree-seeking students. The CALS Exchange programs are rooted in, and in many cases designed by, CALS faculty affiliated to an international academic institution or university department that complements your academic program. Students who have previously gone on exchange have found it to be a rewarding experience as it has added an international dimension to their degree, challenged them academically and facilitated the development of new skills, and enhanced their personal growth and self-confidence.
This exchange program is recommended for undergraduate students majoring in Biological Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Biology, and Environment and Sustainability. Students in majors outside of those recommended may also be able to participate, depending on your interests and academic needs.
What is unique about this program?
HKUST is a publicly funded university that opened in 1991. Comprised of one division and three departments in life science, chemistry, mathematics and physics, the School of Science offers a wide spectrum of programs and opportunities in these four core disciplines. The School is also home to the interdisciplinary Environmental Science Program. According to the Times Higher Education World Ranking, HKUST is 5th in Asia and 47th in the world. The exchange with HKUST has become increasingly popular among CALS students over the last couple of semesters.
What is unique about Hong Kong?
HKUST occupies a stunning 150-acre site overlooking the pristine Clearwater Bay, located on the Sai Kung Peninsula. Hong Kong is a “world city.” Ranking among the top leading international financial centers, it is a model of capitalist economy. Fast-paced and densely populated, Hong Kong is also a leader in modern architecture, growing up instead of out. Living in such a city is a unique experience; imagine a place with spectacular landscapes, excellent transportation, bustling nightlife, high quality of life and some of the best street food in the world. This is what Hong Kong offers its residents and visitors.
Past participants have submitted feedback about their experiences. These surveys are available for your review. You can also view photos from their time abroad. Would you like to ask a past participant questions about their experience? The CALS exchange coordinator is happy to connect you to a Cornell student who has studied at HKUST. Email email@example.com to request an introduction.
How do I apply?
- Meet with the CALS Exchange Advisor
- The CALS exchange advisor meets personally with every student interested in going on an exchange. It's an opportunity to discuss the program, the application process, the course approval process, etc. Schedule an appointment.
- Click the green apply button (there is an application preview button for those interested in what is on the application-by clicking apply, you will start an application to the program)
- Already met with the CALS Exchange Advisor or is it close to the application deadline and you can't get in to see the advisor? That's okay. Click the green apply button and start the Cornell application process so you don't miss any deadlines.
- Click Submit
- Once you've completed all of the application requirements, click submit. The CALS Exchange Advisor will review your application within a week of your submission. If accepted, you will receive further instructions regarding next steps and the application process to your host university.