Since 1954, CALS has offered their students unique opportunities to study abroad via the CALS Exchange program. Through reciprocal agreements with select universities, CALS students integrate themselves into a partner university abroad, taking classes and living alongside degree-seeking students. In exchange, students from our partner come to study at CALS. The CALS Exchange programs are rooted in, and in many cases designed by, CALS faculty affiliated to an international academic institution or university department that complements your academic program.
Students who have previously gone on exchange have found it to be a rewarding experience as it has added an international dimension to their degree, challenged them academically and facilitated the development of new skills, and enhanced their personal growth and self-confidence. Credits obtained while on exchange will be considered Cornell credit, not transfer credit. Students are billed their regular CALS tuition, with no added administrative fees. This is especially advantageous for in-state students. Housing, food, visa, travel, health insurance, books, and other personal expenses are paid separately.
What is unique about this program?
Harper Adams University is the leading higher education provider of land-based education in the UK. Established more than 100 years ago, Harper Adams offers taught programs at undergraduate and postgraduate level, as well as research programs leading to MPhil and PhD awards.
Harper Adams operates a commercial farm, providing an excellent resource for teaching, research and student projects. The farm is approximately 343 hectares, and is at the heart of the University’s campus. Grass, maize and stewardship crops are all grown and all the major animal enterprises are present with a major new dairy unit, three sheep flocks, an intensive beef unit, commercial egg and poultry enterprises, and a pig unit. The University has specialist facilities for its engineering students, including an off-road vehicle test track and purpose-built indoor soil hall, and for its veterinary nursing students there is a mock veterinary practice, operating theatre and prep room.
Harper Adams University has been awarded The Queen’s Anniversary Prize for Higher and Further Education 2017. The award recognizes their work in agricultural engineering and precision farming in which they have built a national and international reputation, not least with the recent success of their Hands Free Hectare initiative (see www.handsfreehectare.com), where HA worked to grow a crop of barley using only robots and drones.
What is unique about Shropshire and England?
The University is located in rural Shropshire. It enjoys a single campus site and provides a safe and secure environment in which students can study and live comfortably in modern student dormitories. Harper Adams also has excellent transport links to Birmingham, as well as the nearby attractive town of Shrewsbury.
How do I apply?
- Attend a CALS Exchange and Study Abroad Information Session
- CALS will be holding information sessions for students to answer questions regarding types of programs, the process, financial aid/costs concerns, returning credits, and any additional questions you may have. You can find the schedule and login information here.
- Meet with the CALS Exchange Advisor
- The CALS exchange advisor is happy to meet with each student to go over specific programs, answer individuals academic questions that could not be discussed in an information sessions, assist with program selection based on interest, etc. It's also an opportunity to discus the application process, the course approval process, etc. Schedule an appointment.
- Click the green apply button (there is an application preview button for those interested in what is on the application-by clicking apply, you will start an application to the program)
- Already met with the CALS Exchange Advisor or is it close to the application deadline and you can't get in to see the advisor? That's okay. Click the green apply button and start the Cornell application process so you don't miss any deadlines.
- Click Submit
- Once you've completed all of the application requirements, click submit. The CALS Exchange Advisor will review your application within a week of your submission. If accepted, you will receive further instructions regarding next steps and the application process to your host university.