(Important: please see the Requirements tab of this posting to ensure that you submit all necessary application materials.)
Job Title: Atkinson Intern, Energy Decarbonization, MHDV Electrification
Program/Department: Energy Decarbonization
Job Description: EDF offers internships and fellowships for students and recent graduates in a variety of programs and departments throughout the organization. The ultimate goal of our internship and fellowship program is to provide high-quality experiences (including relevant projects and opportunities for networking) that form the foundation for any individual who is serious about pursuing an environmental career.
Program/Department Overview: The goal of the EDF’s Energy Decarbonization Strategy is to bend the curve on greenhouse gas emissions from oil and gas production and use by 2030, while meeting the world’s energy needs cleanly and equitably. We are achieving this through a defined set of objectives targeted at 1) reducing emissions from oil and gas production, delivery, and use, and 2) reducing demand for oil and gas in power generation, transportation, buildings, and industry. To achieve our goal, we seek reforms in law, regulation, and/or business practice through a set of strategic corporate partnerships, direct engagement with policymakers, and mobilizing investor and public sentiment in favor of change. In achieving our objectives, we facilitate cutting-edge science, technical innovation, and rigorous economic and financial analysis to develop durable solutions.
To facilitate a transition within the transportation sector, EDF is working on solutions for deployment of medium and heavy-duty trucks and buses by working with major fleet operators, manufacturers, electric utilities, and other key stakeholders to establish new business, finance and regulatory models. These solutions will reduce local air and climate pollution by bringing down the cost of vehicle ownership, facilitating the deployment of critical charging infrastructure, and encouraging the use of managed charging to encourage expansion and use of clean energy.As part of that, participation in state and federal venues to shape regulatory and policy outcomes, and socialization of relevant research is critical.
Summer Interns in EDF’s Energy Decarbonization effort provide essential contributions to the program’s work securing new policies that move the economy toward a cleaner and more equitable future. We aim to make our Policy Intern’s experience relevant, challenging, and rewarding. Summer Interns work in a high‐intensity, fast‐paced, multi‐disciplinary setting to formulate and implement strategies, laws, and policies.
Overall Function: The Energy Decarbonization Intern will primarily work on policy advocacy at state energy and environmental agencies in California concerning the transition to zero emissions medium and heavy-duty trucks and buses. Within this role, the main topics covered will be regulation and oversight of electric vehicle charging and deployment programs and practices that are relevant to ensuring transport electrification occurs in a cost-effective, equitable, and environmentally beneficial manner. The Intern will contribute to these efforts by working closely with in-house attorneys and policy experts to advance winning positions through coalition building, comment and testimony preparation and delivery, and formal representation of EDF in regulatory proceedings where EDF is a participant. The Summer Internwill report to Senior Director & Sr. Attorney, Energy Decarbonization.
Key Responsibilities: Tasks will include but are not limited to:
- Conduct legal and policy research on transportation electrification solutions (alternative fuels, advanced vehicles, and relevant utility practices including cost allocation and rate design)
- Conduct research and analysis necessary to inform advocacy before multiple agencies in a variety of states, including within coalitions of states working together on solutions development. These agencies would include energy agencies with regulatory oversight of electric utilities, and environmental / administrative agencies considering broad policy developments to encourage electric vehicle deployment.
- Contribute to regulatory filings and administrative comments.
- Draft public-facing documents such as fact sheets and blog posts about legal and policy issues.
- Represent EDF at public hearings and meetings before government agencies.
- Support environmental justice initiatives, such as leveraging truck and bus electrification to reduce pollution in overburdened communities.
- Participate in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values
- Provide other ad-hoc support to the team’s legislative and regulatory advocacy