(Important: please see the Requirements tab of this posting to ensure that you submit all necessary application materials.)
Job Title: Atkinson Intern, Financing Climate Smart Agriculture
Program/Department: Climate Smart Agriculture
Job Description: EDF offers internships and fellowships for students and recent graduates in a variety of programs and departments throughout the organization. The ultimate goal of our internship and fellowship program is to provide high-quality experiences (including relevant projects and opportunities for networking) that form the foundation for any individual who is serious about pursuing an environmental career.
Program/Department Overview: EDF’s Climate Smart Agriculture program works to help farms, ranches and forests produce food, fuel,and fiber, while protecting communities from extreme floods and droughts, and providing ecosystem services like clean water and reduced greenhouse gases. The program’s farm finance initiative aims to develop financial solutions that support farmers transition to climate smart agricultural practices profitably.
Overall Function: The intern will support projects analyzing the financial impacts of climate smart agriculture practices taking place on U.S. farms. The intern will be an important part of the project teams by developing financial data-gathering tools, working directly with farmers and accountants to gather farm financial data, and analyzing the financial outcomes of the climate smart agricultural practices. The intern will be the project teams’ financial data analyst and is expected to work closely with the partners, farmers, extension agents and accountants participating in the projects. The intern will be expected to produce financial data gathering questionnaires, financial analysis spreadsheets and analysis results in collaboration with project partners throughout the internship.
Key Responsibilities: Tasks will include but are not limited to:
- Works with farmers and project partners to document their climate smart agriculture practices
- Works with accountants to develop farm financial data gathering questionnaires and spreadsheets
- Gathers and cleans financial data from farms in collaboration with project partners
- Conducts financial analysis of climate smart agriculture practices taking place on farms
- Synthesizes, organizes and communicates financial analysis results to the team
- Provides support to the team through project planning, partner collaboration, and scheduling meetings/events
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values